The 2023 China-ASEAN Marine Scholarship Opens for Application
The Fourth Institute of Oceanography (4IO) of the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) of the People’s Republic of China initiates a joint program “China-ASEAN Oceanic Scholarship for Education of International Graduate Student” with Zhejiang University (ZJU) in order to promote the integration of science and education and co-construction of MNR and the Ministry of Education (MOE). This program aims at the training of ASEAN graduate students in ocean-related fields who are interested in studying in China.
Multiple disciplines are set up in this program including marine science, ocean technology and engineering, marine economics management, and law. The compulsory courses are taught in English, and some of the optional courses are taught in Chinese. Students are co-supervised by supervisors from both institutions, Ocean College of ZJU (Zhoushan, Zhejiang) and 4IO (Beihai, Guangxi). Durations of the PhD and master’s programs are four and three years respectively.
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
a. Citizen of an ASEAN Member State Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Viet Nam;
b. In sound physical and mental health;
c. Holder of an undergraduate degree and under the age of 40 if applying for a master’s degree; Holder of a master’s degree and under the age of 40 if applying for a PhD degree;
d. Proficient in English; A good TOEFL/IELTS score for applicants whose native language is not English (IELTS Academic: 6.0; TOEFL iBT: 90). Test dates must be within 2 years or less from date of application.
a. PhD Program: Ocean Technology & Engineering, International Trade, Marine Law.
b. Master Program (professional degree): Biology & Pharmaceutical Engineering, Electronics Information, Mechanical Engineering, Resource and Environment, Civil & Hydraulic Engineering, International Business,.
Applicants are strongly suggested to contact with supervisors (海洋学院英文网 (zju.edu.cn)) in advance. Recommendations from supervisors will be taken considerations during the admission process.
3. Deadline & Timeline
For 2023 entry, your application deadline will be May 20 2023. Please submit your online application before the deadline.
Usually within 7 days of offer notification
4. How to apply
Step 1: Access the online application through the online portal here. Register an account through [SIGN UP] and login with your account.
Step 2: Input Personal Information.
Step 3: Input Contact Information.
Step 4: Input Educational Experience.
Step 5: Input Study Plan
Step 6: Select “Zhejiang University Scholarship” in [Scholarship Application] stage.
Step 7: Upload electronic copies of your supporting documents to [Documents Upload].
Documents uploaded must be in English. Otherwise, they must be accompanied by certified translations in English language.
An application fee of CNY800 will be charged for each application. Payment can be made online before submitting application by VISA/Mastercard.
NOTE: please do send your “Application Form for China-ASEAN Oceanic Scholarship” to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline while submitting your application in the system.
5. Supporting Documents
You must upload electronic copies of your supporting documents to the application portal.
a. Application Form for China-ASEAN Oceanic Scholarship download here.
b. Passport: a copy of the personal particulars page of your passport.
c. Degree Certificate: ①. Original Language; ②. Official translation in English (if original is not in English).
d. Official Transcripts: ①.Original Language; ②. Official translation in English (if original is not in English).
e. Valid TOEFL/IELTS/GRE/HSK Scores.
f. Research Proposal: at least 1,500 words in English or Chinese.
g. Two recommendation letters: Provide the name and institutional email addresses of two academic referees.
h. Chinese or English with referrers’ signatures and attached with contact phone numbers and emails.
i. Research publications or achievements if any.
j. Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Professor if any, download here.
k. No-criminal record report.
l. Documentation on nationality:
1) Applicants who are ASEAN immigrants from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan must provide documentation for cancellation of Chinese nationality.
2) Applicants who have non-Chinese nationalities due to birth in the countries and parent(s) with Chinese nationality should provide documentation for their own birthright citizenship and the parent(s)’ permanent residency granted before the applicant’s date of birth.
6. Why apply for this scholarship?
a. Full coverage of subsidized tuition fees (after Tuition Grant).
b. Monthly living allowance (CNY3000 per month for Master degree student and CNY3500 per month for doctoral degree student).
c. On-campus accommodation is provided for free.
d. Comprehensive Medical Insurance.
1. Students who are granted the scholarship must comply with the regulations and participate in the annual review after registration. The disqualified students will be suspended from or deprived of the scholarship.
2. Students who are granted the scholarship cannot change the enrolled college or university and the specialty or its duration.
3. The study length cannot be extended.
4. The stipend covering living expenses will be distributed by month from when students register in the program. A full stipend will be paid to those who register no later than the 15th of the month, and a half stipend will be paid to those who register after the 15th. The stipend will be issued until half a month after the graduation date per the university’s regulation. It will not be paid to the students who suspend, drop out of, and finish schooling as of the next month when those events happen. The stipend will only be paid in holidays as specified by the university, but the awardees can get the full amount of unpaid stipends during their absence at the university when they return to the university. The stipend will not be paid to students who do not return and register on time without absence requests or are absent from the university or the classes for non-health sake longer than a month.
5. Students should return to their home countries and deliver babies or convalesce if they are pregnant or seriously sickened and have to suspend schooling, and the travel expenses will be covered on their own. The scholarship awardees can retain the qualification up to a year by approval of suspension of schooling, but the monthly stipend will not be distributed during this period. The scholarship qualification will not be retained for any other reasons of suspension of schooling.
6. The right of final interpretation is reserved by the International College of ZJU.
Add: No. 1 Zheda Rd, Zhoushan, Zhejiang, 316021, P.R. China.
The Fourth Institute of Oceanography
Department of International Cooperation
Address: Office 503, Fourth Institute of Oceanography of the Ministry of Natural Resources, No. 1 Ke Yan Rd, Beihai, Guangxi, China.
Zip code: 536000.